Our Junior Primary program fosters inquiry and curiosity, engaging our students to develop essential literacy and numeracy skills.
This inquiry-based learning environment emphasizes the student’s role in the learning process. We encourage our Junior Primary students to explore materials, ask questions and share ideas. Inquiry projects are built in partnership with the child and teacher, involving open-ended tasks, fostering critical thinking, social and emotional development.
Our Junior Primary program develops the foundation of early academics through the exploration of literacy and numeracy skills. Based on current research and best practices, students explore the elements of literacy such as phonics and handwriting, skills necessary for the transition into Senior Primary and our Prep School. Numeracy skills concepts include patterning and expressing learning in numerical ways. Our curriculum planning is purposeful and sequenced for success in the Prep School academic program.
- Inquiry based exploration of concepts related to science, technology and creative building projects take place in our STEM station.
- Carefully documented learning ensures students and parents can chart progress, using a digital portfolio program to share ‘real-time’ learning experiences in the classroom with parents.
- French taught by a specialist teacher, who introduces key elements of expression in French to our youngest learners.
- Music taught by a specialist teacher who encourages students to explore rhythm, singing, dance and musical expression.
- Physical education taught by a specialist teacher, which takes place in our expansive gym where our young learners develop gross motor skills through activities such as running, jumping, climbing, catching, and tag games.
- Creative expression woven throughout the Junior Primary program, with students in our Arts Studio engaging in artistic tasks as well as dramatic play that encourages self expression, confidence and risk taking.
- Outdoor play and exploration is a daily component of our program on our beautiful campus as well as in the wider community, allowing our Junior Primary students to develop an appreciation for nature.
Led by a teaching team with more than a decade of experience in early years education with B.Ed and ECE qualifications, our Junior Primary teachers provide a thoughtfully planned classroom environment that encourages small and large group project work. The space is open, collaborative and creative.
We encourage you to learn more about our Junior Primary Program by scheduling a visit or connecting with our Admissions Team